‘For decades, companies have been selling “slim” – and we’ve been ‘eating it up’! The global weight management market reached a value of US$ 470 Billion in 2021.
Yes, ‘diets’ are big business, ‘Yo-Yo dieters’ go from one diet to the next, hoping that ‘this one will be the answer’.
So why are ‘diets’ so difficult to stick to?
I have put together a list of some of the reasons why I think ‘diets’ fail.
In reality ‘dieting’ can never be the long-term solution but thank fully, for the ‘diet industry’, that doesn’t seem to stop people.
40 Reason why diets fail:
- They’re boring/expensive/rigid/time consuming
- Means cooking the family a different meal
- No one likes to be ‘deprived
- No one likes to be told what to do by the ‘diet expert’
- Part of you doesn’t want to lose weight
- There’s a fear of ‘failing’
- There’s a belief you won’t succeed
- Feeling ‘empty’ is uncomfortable
- Strong emotions begin to surface
- Overweight friends or family won’t like it
- Change is scary
- Diets are not sustainable long term
- Other people may be judgmental
- Risk of offending someone by refusing their food
- It too much hassle finding something suitable in restaurants
- Letting go of a protective layer of fat is too ‘exposing’
- There’s no money to buy a new clothes
- It’ll ‘rock the boat’ in some relationships
- There’s a fear of attracting unwanted attention
- It’s a reminder of an unhappy time when you were ‘slim’
- You believe you ‘can’t have everything’
- You’re afraid people might be jealous or won’t like you
- Fear you may become ‘shallow’ ‘superficial’ or self-absorbed
- Afraid once you start dieting you won’t be able to STOP
- Can’t handle the ‘pressure’ to keep the weight off long-term
- You’re doing it for someone else
- Might mean someone who’s been telling you to lose weight has ‘won’
- Can’t eat your favourite foods
- It’s inconvenient
- Fear of stretch marks
- You’re afraid of sending out the ‘wrong message’ to your children
- You don’t want to take responsibility for your body and your health
- Fear of success
- Brings back uncomfortable feelings of a parent ‘dieting’
- Takes away choice/freedom
- Doesn’t feel safe to lose weight
- You don’t want to be ‘seen to fail’
- Fear your partner will reject you or feel ‘threatened’ if you look different
- You don’t feel you deserve to have the body you want
- You can’t use your weight as an excuse anymore!!
If you’re struggling with your eating behaviour why not check out my Hypnosis download ‘You Can Lose Weight‘
Do leave a comment.